The one year that I really remember celebrating Halloween, I was studying in Canada. The evening involved a large group of fancy-dressed 20 year olds carving numerous pumpkins with a glass of vino in hand, whilst answering the door to a continuous stream of trick-or-treaters that came a-knocking. It was fun.
This year we will be celebrating, although thankfully I am not the one dressing up, but I might well have a glass of vino in hand once my little pumpkin is tucked up in bed.
This recipe is really easy and a great ghoulish offering.
Incy Wincy Carrot Cake Muffins
Prep in 30 minutes, cooks in 20 minutes
Ingredients and suggested quantities:
6oz light brown muscovado sugar
3½oz plain flour
3½oz wholemeal flour
3 tsp baking powder
2 tsp mixed spice
½ tsp ground ginger
Zest of 1 orange
2 large eggs
150 ml sunflower oil
7oz carrots, grated
For the frosting:
3½oz unsalted butter, softened
12oz cream cheese, out of the fridge
3½oz icing sugar, sifted
1 tsp vanilla extract
Natural food colouring of your choice
- Pre-heat oven to 180c and line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper muffin cases
- Combine the sugar, flours, baking powder, spices and zest in a large mixing bowl
- In a separate bowl mix the eggs and oil thoroughly and then stir into the dry ingredients, together with the grated carrot
- Divide the mixture between the 12 muffin cases and bake in the oven for 20 mins. To check they are cooked, I pop a cocktail stick into the middle and it should come out clean
- To make the frosting, beat the butter and cream cheese until uber soft and almost fluffy. Add in 3½oz of the icing sugar and vanilla extract
- When the muffins are completely cooled, using a kitchen knife, spread the frosting generously over the tops, leaving ½ a cup full
- With the remaining ½ cup of frosting, mix in a little natural food colouring and get creative with some decorative piping…
Some muffins didn’t make it to the end of the decorating process and had to be tested… My piping skills are not great, but they at least allow a little salute to the theme! The muffins freeze well un-iced, so great to prep in advance for a birthday party or similar.