A Quick and Easy Supper Recipe for All the Family
The past few weeks have been more hectic than usual. Having just uprooted our little family from balmy Balham and travelled an awfully long way to the stunning, but freezing, Lake Louise in Alberta, Canada, we are now settling into a lifestyle that contrasts greatly from the cosmopolitan buzz which we had grown accustomed. The jet lag is still being fought, less so by our daughter, and my husband has started his new job already. All in little over a month.
With the move being relatively last minute, our diaries have been packed trying to fit in appropriate goodbyes to our nearest and dearest with speedy suppers that could be prepped in that 45 minutes window between getting home from work and nursery collection and the door bell ringing.
Taking inspiration from Jamie’s latest 15 Minute Meal collection, and keen to prepare a supper that could be chucked on the table for a family style service on one dish; this is essentially grilled chicken with stir-fried veg and brown rice. But boring, it is not. Flavour, it is full of!
Asian Grilled Chicken with Crunchy Stir Fried Veg
Serves 4 adults
Prep in 20 minutes, cooks in 30 minutes
Ingredients and suggested quantities:
3 large chicken breasts, battered to 2 cm thick
1 tsp Chinese Five spice
1 tsp Cayenne pepper
1 tsp dried oregano
Zest and juice from 1 lime
1 red pepper, cut into strips
1 yellow/orange pepper, cut into strips
½ red onion, cut into strips
2 tbsp edamame beans
4 spring onions, shopped
1 small broccoli head, cut into small florets
1 ½ inches fresh ginger, grated
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 red chilli, thinly sliced (add more if you like)
Slosh of soy sauce
4 large handfuls of easy cook brown rice
1. Get the brown rice cooking in boiling water for 25 minutes and preheat your oven to warm your service plates
2. Lay the chicken breasts between 2 pieces of cling film and bash them with a rolling-pin until they are about 2 cm thick. Then sprinkle over the five spice, cayenne pepper, lime zest and oregano and leave until you are ready to cook
3. Prepare all the vegetables for the stir fry – chop peppers, onions, broccoli – and then chuck into a pre-heated wok with some olive oil. After a few minutes add the fresh ginger, garlic, chilli and edamame beans
4. Onto a hot griddle pan or a George Foreman style grill, place the chicken breasts to sizzle and cook. Turn them once, just to add some stripes and they will cook through in about 5 minutes. When they are cooked through, remove from the heat to a chopping board, and cut into 2cm wide strips. Cover with foil until you are ready to serve
5. When the rice is cooked, strain and tip onto the pre-heated large service plate. Spoon the hot stir fried vegetables over the top and slosh with soy sauce and lime juice. Then top with the chicken strips. Pop on the table and everyone can help themselves.
This recipe can easily be adapted based on what you have in the fridge. The ginger, garlic and chilli really do make it though. I love nutty brown rice, although you could substitute for bulgar wheat or cous cous if you wanted.
Right, I should probably get on with the unpacking… more to follow, so please do keep following and sharing with those who might be interested! xx