A Quick and Easy Supper Recipe for All the Family
The combination of spinach, ricotta and pinenuts is classically delicious. The addition of the salty Serrano ham just makes it even better.
You will delight in the appearance and aroma of this coming out of the oven. I think it is best served simply with sliced tomatoes dressed with olive oil, balsamic, lemon juice and chopped parsley.
Spinach, Ricotta and Serrano Ham
Prep in 20 minutes, cooks in 40 minutes
Ingredients and suggested quantities:
500g frozen spinach
1 packet of puff pastry
½ tsp ground nutmeg
100g grated Parmesan
1 lemon, zested
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp pinenuts
4 slices Serrano ham
1 egg yolk
1. Preheat oven to 190c
2. Defrost the spinach in a pan on a medium heat and then strain all excess liquid
3. Brown the pinenuts in a dry frying pan. When golden remove from the heat
4. In a large mixing bowl, combine together the spinach, nutmeg, ricotta, Parmesan, lemon zest and pinenuts. Taste and season with salt and pepper
5. Roll out the puff pastry into a rectangle and about 5mm thick and lay the Serrano ham over the top
6. Spoon the spinach mixture down the middle of the pastry, length-ways. Wrap the ham over the top of the spinach
7. Cut pastry on either side spinach into strips so that you can loosely plait it over the top. Brush the egg yolk over the top of the pastry and cook on a baking sheet in the oven for 40 minutes until to golden.
Serve straight away, or cold the next day is good too… Seriously, this is delicious, particularly on a warm night with a chilled glass of vino.