A Quick and Easy Supper Recipe for All the Family
As some might know, those of us currently residing in southern Alberta have recently experienced a drop or two of heavy rain… So whilst we battened down the hatches and stayed inside away from the craziness, I experimented with some ingredients from the fridge, freezer and store cupboards to create a dish that was full of sunshine. Spanish sunshine, to be more precise.
It might look like there are lots of ingredients, but you really just chuck them all together and them do their own thing in the oven.
Baked Espanol-ish Chicken
Prep in 15 minutes, cooks in 60 minutes
Ingredients and suggested quantities:
4 chicken thighs
4 chicken drumsticks
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2” chorizo, cut into small cubes
1 Spanish onion, roughly cut into chunks
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 large yellow bell pepper, roughly cut into pieces
½ tsp dried oregano and thyme
1 tsp paprika
1 handful of pimento stuffed olives
1 cup brown rice
2 cups of good chicken stock
1. Preheat oven to 180c. Season the chicken pieces with salt and black pepper
2. In a large casserole dish, heat a splash of olive oil on a high heat. Brown the chicken pieces on each side until the skin is really crispy
3. Remove the chicken pieces from the dish and discard half of the oil. Return to the heat and add the chorizo, onion, garlic, pepper, herbs, paprika and olives to the dish to sizzle for a few minutes just to release the flavours and get a little bit of colour.
4. Pour in the rice and cover in the chicken stock and an additional cup of water. The liquid should cover the rice and veg by about ½ inch. Give a quick stir and then tuck the chicken pieces on top.
5. Cover with lid or foil and bake in the oven for 60 minutes, removing the lid or foil half way through. By the end of the cooking time, all the liquid should be absorbed into the cooked rice, and the chicken cooked though to the bone.
Depending on your oven, you might need to add a splash more water if the rice still has a little too much bite.
You could serve with some additional veggies, or exactly as is. Any leftovers are great cold the next day too. Enjoy.